Have any question? Tel: +256 414-662-832 | +256 755-157-621 info@psaeduc.com

USA University Tour

The U.S. has the world’s largest population of international students: nearly 600,000. One of the most attractive features of the U.S. higher education system is the flexibility it provides through the number and diversity of institution types it encompasses. More than 4,500 accredited institutions make up U.S. higher education in the United States.

Many American universities are leading World University rankings and offering a huge selection of courses. The U.S. academic calendar typically runs from September to May and can be divided into two academic terms of 16-18 weeks known as semesters. Alternatively, some schools may operate on a quarter or trimester system of multiple terms of 10-12 weeks. With the variety of available U.S. higher education options, students are sure to find the right fit for their academic, financial, and personal needs.

Why study in the USA?

Academic Excellence

U.S. degrees are recognized all over the the world for their excellence.It is one of the world’s finest university systems, with outstanding programs and international recognition. Students have the opportunity to work directly with some of the finest minds in their field of study, with the chance to become involved with exclusive research and educational opportunities.

Variety of Educational Opportunities

With several thousand colleges and universities, and at least ten times as many campuses as in any other country, the higher education system in the USA offers a great many study options and courses for studying abroad for all international students.

Global Education and Long-Term Career Prospects

  • The US, with 16 institutions, dominates the world’s top 20 universities list.
  • 52 US universities are ranked amongst the top 100 universities worldwide
  • 77 American universities are ranked amongst the best 200 universities in the world

Cutting-Edge Technology

For decades now, the USA has led in many areas of cutting-edge technology and research. As a result, students interact with potential and current leaders in their field during the course of study. The USA offers some of the most innovative and path breaking STEM courses (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math courses).

Opportunity for Research, Teaching and Training

Research-based learning and education are actively encouraged. If you’re looking to challenge yourself intellectually and academically, and you aim to become a research scholar, there are several exciting programs ready for you to study.


The fact that United States universities are among the richest in the world means that if you’re a meritorious student, you could very well be on the receiving end of scholarships and grants.


Tired of the same old courses? Well, you can reach out of the box too because the US education system provides a lot of flexibility in the courses on offer.

Class sizes are small—there could be as few as 10 to 20 students studying with you. This means there’ll be more engagement, greater interaction, and all the personal attention every student needs.

Optional Practical Training

Once you complete your study degree, you’ll be granted an Optional Practical Training (OPT) visa that’ll let you work in the field related to your area of study so that you can gain some practical experience. The OPT is valid for 12 months, and 17 in the case of a STEM OPT extension. During this time you might even be hired by a company that'll sponsor your H1-B or work visa.

USA's Education System

American colleges and universities offer three basic programs:

  • Associate's Degree - This is an academic program taken by students after secondary school, prior to a Bachelors course. It provides students with basic academic and technical knowledge and skills necessary for employment or for furthering their education.
  • Undergraduate –The duration of undergraduate programs in the US is four years. Since associate degrees are cheaper than bachelor degrees, many Americans prefer to go through two years of associate degree leading to two years of their chosen undergraduate program.
  • Post Graduate –Master degrees in the US vary from 1.5 to two years while doctoral degrees last between 3-5 years.

USA Student Visa

The United States government offers three student visa types including F, J, and M.

  • F Student Visa: for study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language institute
  • J Exchange Visa: for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study
  • M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States

Most students fall under the F-1 student visa category. Before you can apply for a student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. institution of higher education that is certified by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP). Once accepted at an SEVP-certified school, you will receive a Form I-20 from the institution's international student office to present when you apply for your student visa. Students should be aware of the fees such as the non-refundable visa application fee and the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee of $200.

USA Student Employment

On-campus Employment

In the USA, an F-1 student automatically has permission to work on campus but still needs to work with a Designated School Official (DSO) to ensure the job offered qualifies as on-campus employment. An F-1 student may begin working as much as 30 days before the start of a program of study. Students are authorized to work for a maximum of 20 hours during the school semester and 40 hours outside of the school semester. Employment must be on-campus and requires approval from the school’s Designated School Official (DSO).

Off-campus Employment

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will authorize off-campus employment only in cases of severe economic hardship occurring after a student's enrollment in an academic program and after the student has been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year, or in emergent circumstances as defined by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). An F-1 student must show an ability to afford the costs of school and living expenses before entering the United States and should not plan to work off-campus.

Entering the USA

  • New Students - F-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study start date. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States in F-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date listed on your I-20 form.
  • Continuing Students - May renew their visas at any time, as long as they have maintained student status and their SEVIS records are current. Continuing students may enter the United States at any time before their classes start.